Thanks for signing up for Time to Write, a one-hour writing session on Zoom that happens every Wednesday at 9:30 a.m. PT, beginning January 11!
Time to Write is and will always remain free as long as you are a member of my email list. If you’re not a member, join here.
Here’s a little about who I am, so that you know more about how (and why) I am facilitating Time to Write. I want you to get the most out of the experience! I’m a writer and editor, whose worked with hundreds of writers over the years. I’m also in the middle of writing my second book.
I self-published my first book, Be About Something in 2020, which I wrote to help people who wanted to write but needed help figuring out what they wanted to say and how they wanted to say it.
Ways I work with writers:
- I am a ghostwriter, which you can read more about here.
- I help first-time nonfiction book authors create their book outline before they start writing.
- I review and edit book proposals and I edit finished manuscripts. (If you need info about those services, email maggie at maggiefrankhsu dot com.)
- I send a weekly newsletter with tips and resources for your writing practice.
Before I started my own business, I was a freelance writer and editor, and worked at magazines like Gourmet, Martha Stewart Living, and ESPN the Magazine. I graduated from the Columbia School of Journalism in 2006 with a Master’s. I also worked in online marketing for eight years, and I use these two aspects of my experience to help my clients identify their audience as a way to sharpen their writing.
Altogether I lived in New York for about 12 years. But I grew up in a suburb of Los Angeles called Alhambra (fun fact: the municipal park is called Granada Park.) (If you don’t know why that fact is fun, google “Alhambra and Granada.”)
I now live in San Diego with my husband, Alan, two children (8 and 5) and two dogs (14 and 1). 😀
Where to hear more from me:
- Here’s an interview I did about perfectionism being the enemy of a sustaining writing practice.
- Here’s an interview I did with Christy Harrison, where we talked (among others things) about working at Gourmet, and also about how raising small children burned through the last few fucks I had to give.
- Check out my video series for writers called “Rookie Mistakes” on Instagram.
I’m looking forward to seeing you at Time to Write! Join here to get the Zoom link.
Time to Write Format: Wednesdays, time 9:30 am PT
- You log on to Zoom.
- At the start of the hour, I greet participants and provide a writing prompt for those who are unsure of how to begin. I also post the prompt in the chat.
- We write. (You may come late. You may leave early. I will let you in at any time during the hour—don’t skip because you’re late or you have to leave early.)
- Use Zoom chat to message me privately during Time to Write if you have a question.
- A few minutes before the hour ends, I will gather us to close. At this time, up to two participants are invited to read what they wrote. I will close the hour with lines from a writer I’m admiring that week.